The days of sipping 7-Eleven slurpees in Selkirk have come to an end. “I’m still in shock,” said Selkirk resident Eric Vogen on Thursday. “I just found out about it a day or two ago. Walking by there yesterday, I went to go get a taquito, and I forgot it was closed. They were taking the sign down.” Vogen said he came to the 7-Eleven, located at 55 Main Street, every day for years. “Really big fan of those taquitos.” But it closed this week. The store was the only location in the city and was there for decades. The store did not have any signs announcing the closure. “We’re slurpee capital of Canada here in Manitoba, so very disheartened,” said Selkirk resident Shawn Trudeau. “I can understand why they’re doing it, theft is a big concern nowadays, so I get it.” However, Vogen isn’t so sure crime was to blame. “It couldn’t have been that bad,” Vogen said. “Most of them are gamers going to get some munchies.” “That’s why I’m just kind of dumbfounded. I thought 7-Eleven in Selkirk was safe,” Trudeau said. CTV News reached out to 7-Eleven headquarters for comment, but we have not heard back. Earlier this year, the company announced they were restructuring from a corporate to a franchise model. Selkirk mayor Larry Johannson is hopeful the space will remain a convenience store. “It’s a dynamite location and the store was always busy,” Johannson said on Thursday. At least eight Winnipeg 7-Eleven locations have closed since August 2024. “I’m really hoping that there’s going to be some bounce back, not only in Winnipeg, but in other communities in Manitoba also. I’d like to see it continue as a 7-Eleven.” Johannson said 7-Eleven didn’t give the city a reason for closing.