Man electrocuted in Parksville accident identified as husband, father
CTV Vancouver Island
Published Friday, February 3, 2017 6:09PM PST
Last Updated Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:57PM PST
The 31-year-old man killed when a ladder touched a live wire in Parksville has been identified as a husband, father of a two-year-old daughter and a “beautiful soul.”
On a public GoFundMe page, friends and family identified Callum Steele as the victim of a tragic workplace accident at Pacific Manor apartments Thursday afternoon.
Steele and another man were in contact with the ladder when it touched live wires. He was electrocuted while the other man was airlifted to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Condolences have poured in for Steele online in the form of Facebook comments and donations to the GoFundMe campaign, which shattered its initial goal of $5,000 in just three hours. Just after 6 p.m., the campaign had raised nearly $7,000 for the family.
“On February 2nd, 2017, a tragedy happened in Parksville B.C. that stole one of the most beautiful souls from this planet. Callum leaves behind a loving partner Amanda, and a beautiful two-year-old daughter, Maddison; as well as a large family, so many friends and a heartbroken community,” the page states. “These funds will be used to offset arrangements, help supplement income and save for Maddison's future.”
On Facebook, a woman identifying herself as Steele’s mother-in-law expressed disbelief over the tragedy.
“I don’t know how I can help, what I can say to help our family in this time of need,” said Donna Hoskins-Foucault, adding “We will somehow together be strong enough for Maddison. Rest in Peace Callum.”
Valerie Hodgson, the landlord of the apartment complex, described the aftermath of the accident as “terrifying” and said she rushed to Steele’s aid to perform CPR.
“One guy was in pain, he was in a lot of pain, and the other guy wasn’t moving,” she said. “He just stopped breathing.”
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Worksafe BC and the BC Coroners Service are now investigating the incident.
Worksafe investigators were on site at the building Friday trying to determine exactly what happened and why.
Steele was working for Wilson Exteriors, which said in a statement that its employees were fully trained in all safety procedures.
“It was a horrible accident. Our small company is like a family and we are completely devastated,” the company said.
Investigators say the probe into Steele’s death could take up to six months.
With a report from CTV Vancouver Island's Jessica Lepp