Man electrocuted cleaning gutters at Parksville apartment building
A 31-year-old Nanoose Bay man is dead after an accident involving standing power lines at a Parksville apartment complex.
Early Thursday afternoon, two men cleaning gutters had their ladder come in contact with live power lines, according to Oceanside RCMP.
RCMP confirmed one man was electrocuted, while another was taken to hospital. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The incident happened at Pacific Manor, just off Molliet Street in Parksville, just after 1 p.m.
Wil Phillips, a building tenant, said he "heard a whole lot of commotion" from his apartment and looked out to the parking lot and saw several ambulances, police cars and fire trucks.
He also witnessed paramedics trying to resuscitate one of the men, who didn't appear to be breathing, and said another was yelling in pain.
"We’re all a little bit shaken up, it’s quite unusual to see something like that and I saw some people standing out there mourning," said Phillips.
Oceanside RCMP have turned the investigation over to the BC Coroner and Worksafe BC.