Gas line strike prompts school evacuation in Colwood
Royal Bay Secondary in Colwood is seen in an undated file photo.
CTV Vancouver Island
Published Friday, October 12, 2018 11:29AM PDT
Last Updated Friday, October 12, 2018 1:20PM PDT
A high school was evacuated for about 45 minutes as first responders dealt with a natural gas leak in Colwood.
Colwood Fire Department confirmed its crews were called out for a gas line strike at a construction site on Latoria Road, in the Royal Bay area, Friday morning.
The Sooke School District said nearby Royal Bay Secondary School was evacuated out of precaution.
Officials said the smell of gas was detected in the school after seeping in through a ventilation system, prompting the order.
Mutual aid was called in from neigbouring fire departments including View Royal.