While Edmonton’s annual Pride Festival parade attracted thousands to the downtown core on Saturday, some groups chose to boycott it at the last minute due to the presence of police. It was the second edition of the parade and trans march since returning last year. Organizers cancelled the parade, one of the biggest Pride events on the Prairies, after the 2018 event following disagreements over law enforcement involvement and reports that marginalized groups were being sidelined. That year, protestors successfully barred Edmonton police, the RCMP and the military from participating in future Pride parades after plain-clothed officers took part in the march. Edmonton police apologized in 2019 for officers’ mistreatment of the LGBTQ+ community, noting the brutal 1981 raid of the Pisces Health Spa, a former downtown bathhouse frequented by gay men. On Friday night, the Edmonton Pride Centre decided it wouldn’t participate because of police presence, joining a group of organizations boycotting the festival. Parade organizers did not allow police to march in the parade, but officers were stationed at roadblocks along the route downtown. Festival producer Trevor Watson told CTV News Edmonton last week that including police is part of its overall safety plan, which includes sweeps, road closures and private security. Watson said the festival could not “knowingly remove” a “reasonable safety measure because it may be unpopular.” “Criticism of these decisions is fair. Questions are fair. Disagreement is fair,” he said. ”Harassment of your fellow community members is not.” A spokesperson for the Edmonton Police Service said the officers were working to “support a safe and welcoming festival” with traffic management, road closure maintenance and emergency preparedness." RaricaNow founder Adebayo Chris Katiiti says police have historically mistreated LGBTQ+ and racialized communities. “We cannot honour Pride while ignoring its history and the voices that made it possible,” Katiiti said last week in a video on social media. “We cannot claim safety while welcoming the same systems that have harmed our communities.” Some groups that boycotted Saturday’s parade made alternate plans to celebrate, including The Cherry Pit’s art showcase for LGBTQ2S+ members at Dawson Park. “I’m really glad that we could provide another space for queer youth and queer people of color who don’t know the police,” The Cherry Pit’s Nânâhtew Callihoo told CTV News Edmonton, adding that they believe the festival needs to regain the community’s trust. “People who will be attending and who are most directly impacted by the presence of police like that need to be brought into conversation more,” Callihoo said. Watson said that more discussion about the parade and who takes part in it needs to continue. “As a community, we need to come together and really have conversations on what safety means for everybody,” he said, adding the festival will be held next year. “Pride Fest is going nowhere, and we will always make sure that you’re safe at the Edmonton Pride Festival.” The three-day festival wraps up Sunday with Indigenous Pride, running 12-8 p.m. at the Fan Park in Ice District. With files from CTV News Edmonton’s Curtis Goodrum and Hannah Cavanagh and The Canadian Press