The Saskatchewan Marshals Service is pausing development of a special tactical unit after a purchase order for tactical equipment was publicized. Michael Weger, Saskatchewan’s minister of community safety, announced the move in a statement Friday morning. “I have told the Saskatchewan Marshals Service to pause the development of the Specialized Response Unit. There will be no equipment purchased for this unit,” Weger’s statement read. “The Marshals’ focus going forward will be on working alongside the Saskatchewan RCMP and Municipal and First Nations police forces to strengthen community safety and protect residents across the province.” Weger is expected to speak to reporters at 11 a.m. at the legislative building. Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Premier Scott Moe said he was unaware of the request for proposals for a range of tactical police gear. The public request for bids posted last month called for sniper rifles and night vision goggles, among other items – all planned for use by a new special response unit. The premier said the government would like to see the Marshals Service focusing on how it can support other enforcement agencies in the province, including the RCMP and municipal police forces. He added the government was following up on the request to see if it should proceed. The competition is now listed as ‘closed’ on the Sask Tenders website. The Saskatchewan NDP reiterated its calls for transparency surrounding the Marshals Service and its associated costs on Friday. The Official Opposition has long criticized the formation of the new police force, arguing those resources should be diverted towards the Saskatchewan RCMP and municipal police services. “The only reason this equipment purchase is being put on hold is that the Sask. Party got caught,” NDP MLA Hugh Gordon said in a statement. “The time and resources wasted chasing expensive equipment for a team that does not exist could have been used to support recovery programs, tackle gangs, support victims, or address the massive staffing shortages facing police detachments across the province.” The Saskatchewan Marshals Service is an independent police service that reports to the minister of community safety. It was first announced by the Government of Saskatchewan in 2022 and has been operating since the spring of 2025. The province hoped to have 70 Marshals operating by 2026. The service currently features 30 personnel, 18 of whom are officers. More to come…