Safety upgrades begin at Cathedral Grove near Port Alberni
Safety upgrades begin at Cathedral Grove near Port Alberni
One of Vancouver Island’s most popular tourist attractions has just received a safety makeover.
Changes have been made to Cathedral Grove, a spot where thousands of tourists converge every year, often creating congestion and safety concerns.
According to Mid Island-Pacific Rim MLA Josie Osborne, the changes have been in the works for some time.
"Over the years the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has implemented a lot of different safety measures," Osborne says. "We know just how popular this site is."
The improvements include centre median pickets to prevent vehicles from turning across Highway 4, as well as no U-turn signs and rumble strips to help slow traffic.
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure says other safety measures have been introduced, including speed-reader boards and overhead flashing pedestrian signs.
The ministry says the latest changes were implemented after consultations with First Nations, local governments and the chamber of commerce.
“The ministry is continuing to explore long-term safety improvement options for the Highway 4 corridor through MacMillan Provincial Park, working with the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy as well as local stakeholders” the ministry said.
Osborne says the strips can be removed in the winter for snow plowing and ministry staff will be reviewing these and other possible future changes.
“I think everyone is interested in continuing to explore those longer-term improvements. We've heard from stakeholders, from people, just how important safety is and we've heard from people how important it is to preserve the trees and the magnificence of the park," she said.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
FBI seized 'top secret' documents from Trump home
The FBI recovered documents that were labelled 'top secret' from former U.S. President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to court papers released Friday after a federal judge unsealed the warrant that authorized the unprecedented search this week.

BREAKING | Anne Heche legally dead, remains on life support for donor evaluation
Anne Heche remains on life support and under evaluation for organ donation after a car crash that led to her brain death, a representative for the actor said Friday.
Author Salman Rushdie attacked on lecture stage in New York
Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked and apparently stabbed in the neck Friday by a man who rushed the stage as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.
Passengers tackle Canadian man after he became violent, tried to open plane doors mid-flight
A plane bound for Toronto has been forced to divert to Iceland after a Canadian man allegedly became violent and tried to open the aircraft door mid-air.
No plans to declare monkeypox a national public health emergency: officials
Canada’s chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says there are no plans at the moment to declare monkeypox a public health emergency.
Last month was 6th hottest July on record in 143 years
Last month was the Earth’s sixth-warmest July on record in 143 years, according to the U.S. federal agency that studies oceans, the atmosphere, and coastal areas.
Iqaluit declares state of emergency due to water shortage
The City of Iqaluit has declared a state of emergency due to a water shortage.
300,000 Canadians at 'severe' or 'moderate' risk of gambling problems
While problem gambling affects a minority of the Canadian population, more than 300,000 are at “severe” or “moderate risk” for gambling-related problems, according to a Statistics Canada study of gambling behaviour.
EXCLUSIVE | Woman who was stalked by police officer ex-boyfriend says justice system failed her
Despite a police misconduct probe that found a high-ranking B.C. officer had stalked and harassed his ex-girlfriend for years, a criminal investigation into the case did not result in charges.