Joe Perkins is the 5 o'clock news anchor for CTV Vancouver Island. Joe joined the Victoria newsroom in November 2011 as a reporter and the anchor of CTV Vancouver Island's weekend newscast. He's covered a wide variety of stories, from investigative work to breaking news and light-hearted features.
After graduating from BCIT’s Broadcast Journalism program, Joe began his television news career at CKPG in Prince George, as a news reporter, weather host, and anchor, before making the move to Vancouver Island.
In 2012 Joe represented CTV News as a member of the Cops for Cancer Tour De Rock team, cycling the length of Vancouver Island raising money for paediatric cancer research. Joe's fundraising efforts and coverage contributed to the more than 1.4 million dollars raised by the team during its eight month campaign.
Born and raised in Vancouver, Joe grew up playing sports and continues to work on what he calls his 'failed athletic career.' He's a graduate of the University of Victoria, an avid cook, and an aspiring outdoorsman, taking full advantage of life on Vancouver Island.
- 2016 RTDNA National Dave Rogers Award - Long Feature for "Benches"
- 2016 RTDNA Dave Rogers Award - Long Feature for "Benches"
- 2015 Edward R. Murrow Award - Best Feature Reporting for "Rudy and His Cars"
- 2013 RTDNA Dave Rogers Award - Short Feature for "BBQ Chip Bandits"
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology - University of Victoria (Victoria, BC)
- Broadcasting Diploma - BCIT (Vancouver, BC)